Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Biohazard contaminants are of course a risk. They're dangerous and pose risks to good health by passing disease, infection and bacteria. When we're thinking of biohazards we're thinking of wastes and substances like human blood and fluids (or related substances), animal waste, microbiological wastes, pathological wastes and medical sharps.
Standards do exist on how to properly dispose of biohazards and how biohazard cleanup should be accomplished (see OSHA, Occupational Safety and Health Administration for more info). Properly cleaning up a biohazard spill requires the right protocols, equipment and the relevant expertise.
At SERVPRO of East Greenwich/Warwick/Cranston we pride ourselves in our pursuit of excellence. Are teams are professionals who have the experience and know-how to rightly tackle your biohazard need. See below our biohazard tips page.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (401) 885-6200
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of East Greenwich / Warwick / Cranston has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- East Greenwich
- West Warwick
- Pilgrim Park